When your mother told you to stand up straight or you’d have serious problems, she was right. Bad posture has been linked to multiple physical issues, from headaches to fatigue and even breathing problems. If you currently suffer from these conditions, the personnel at a New Jersey spine center can help you to improve your posture and improve your health. Here are a few tips:
- 1. Check Your Posture in the Morning. Before you leave the house, particularly when you’re getting ready in the morning, check your posture in the mirror and pay attention to how you’re standing.
- 2. Keep Your Shoulders Down and Back. To get your shoulders in the proper position, pull them up toward your ears and then all the way down. Once your shoulders are down, push your chest out and pretend that you’re trying to squeeze a pencil between your shoulder blades.
- 3. Move. Throughout the day, we suggest that you get up and move, to stretch your muscles and get the blood flowing. This will relieve tension in your back and help you to comfortably stand straighter.
- 4. Get Sleep Support. First of all, use a firm mattress. If you’re a side sleeper, use a pillow specially designed for those who sleep on their sides. You can also use a pillow or pillows between your knees to alleviate pressure on your lower back.
- 5. Walk Properly. Pay attention to how you walk. Take long strides and keep your shoulders down and back. Also, keep your weight on your heels, to ensure that it is evenly distributed.
If you’ve tried these tips and nothing helps, it may be time to see a specialist. At the Spine and Health Center, a New Jersey spine center, we can help you to improve your posture and to avoid health problems that might be caused by poor posture.